Getting to know Neversink

According to our research, our house was built around 1900. However, we are taking that with a grain of salt since the American Foursquare design was prevalent in the mid-1890s through the 1930s. It did pique my interest to embark on finding out the accurate year the house was built. So I've been putting together links to town histories, property maps, ancestry.com.finds, and podcasts. I'm linking them below in no special order. To be honest, I'm basically going to use these posts to bookmark all of the links I've been reading through so I can go back and review. So if there doesn't appear to be a method to madness, you're correct. 

Location-wise we live in the hamlet of Claryville, which is located in the town of Neversink (Sullivan County), which is not to be confused with Old Neversink and Bittersweet, the two towns that were displaced to make way for the Neversink Reservoir. While I've never taken New York City tap water for granted ever since my elementary school science fair project on the NYC water system (I'm biased when I say it's the champagne of tap water), it adds a poignant thought to every next sip I take. 

Okay back to history...now before Neversink became Neversink, it was the home to members of the Lenape nation. I just started listening to a podcast called Kaatscast: the Catskills Podcast, Indigenous Catskills 101. The Catskills Indians were one of the last Indigenous groups in the Northeast to leave their native homeland, right around the American Revolution, and to Canada. Justin Wexler of Wild Hudson Valley is the guest speaker on the podcast with over two decades of experience documenting the Catskills' own native history. I just finished the episode, highly recommend it, and am excited to check out one of his recommended books: The Memory of All Ancient Customs by Tom Arne Midtrød. 

Other links that I've found helpful in my preliminary research are below.

Short History of the Town of Neversink (Time and the Valleys Museum)

History of Sullivan County (Genealogy Trails History Group) 

County Atlas of Sullivan County (Library of Congress)






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcoming the New Addition to Our Family

Project No. 1: Drywall Replacement